-New bases gathering technology and attention, 4 commercial facilities and 1 accommodation facility-one after another-
○ JR East Japan Urban Development Co., Ltd. launched the first phase of “ SEEKBASE AKI-OKA MANUFACTURE ”, a new base that gathers technology and attention as a new commercial area under the overpass between Akihabara and Okachimachi Station in December 2019 Opened.
〇 The area consists of 4 commercial facilities and 1 accommodation facility, and this time, we opened the main commercial sales area of accommodation facilities on December 6, 2019 (Friday) and two commercial facilities on Thursday, December 12, 2019. The
〇 In the first period, new stores such as audio, camera, hobby, and craft gin distillery, unique specialty shops with new business categories, and a new elevated underpass hotel that feels Lohas in Akihabara will be gathered.
- Plan summary
JR East Urban Development has been developing four commercial buildings and one accommodation facility in the approximately 160m section under the elevated bridge between Akihabara and Okachimachi Station. This time, the generic name of the five areas concerned will be determined as “SEEKBASE AKI-OKA MANUFACTURE” (hereinafter referred to as SEEKBASE), and we will meet new things, things and people and aim to be an area where excitement is always produced. .
In the first phase, we will open the main product sales area with one accommodation facility and two commercial facilities. In the spring of 2020, the second phase is scheduled to open, and it is connected to the existing facilities under the overpass between the stations, such as “2k540” and “Charabara”, etc., and in the “AKI-OKA” area * We aim to create bustle.
“SEEKBASE AKI-OKA MANUFACTURE” was named as a base for exploration (= SEEK), a place where people interested in enthusiastic exploration gather and an adult base. From here, we aim to be a place where new things, things and encounters are born (manufactured).
The logo is straight, rugged, and weight-sensitive. Depending on how you look at it, the design looks like an object like “wiring or container on the base” or the word “seek”. Expresses the charm of humans.
- Commercial facility overview
(1) Concept ~ Specialized shops where you can find unknown excitement and suguremono gathered ~
* It may differ from the actual image due to the perspective. The commercial facilities aim to create a distinctive, professional and unique worldview that pays homage to the former electric town in order to pay tribute to “Japanese technology” in Akihabara. In a building that does not have a rustic design with warehouses and factories as its design motif, we will develop a product sales area that sells Akihabara-like products, second-hand purchases and repairs, and a food and drink area where you can experience food technology. Shops where people who used to go to Akihabara once, young people who want to find their own special attention, and visitors to Japan who like Japan can gather together to find unknown and exciting things.
(2) Outline of the first phase opening The commercial facility in the first phase will open two product sales areas (“The Tools” area). Unique stores with new stores and new business categories, such as audio, records, cameras, and hobbies. In addition, a craft gin shop with a distillery will be opened as a pre-opening of the eating and drinking area.
In the event space of the facility, we plan to develop unique events such as a POP UP store at a specialty shop and a talk event that will inspire curiosity.
* In the spring of 2020, the TAIKO-LAB, a Japanese drum class “TAIKO-LAB” will be opened sequentially.
(3) The first open shop
(4) Opening events We are planning events such as sales of boomboxes and workshops by Mr. Junichi Matsuzaki, President of DESIGN UNDERGROUND. You can enjoy a unique world view where Mr. Matsuzaki’s nostalgia and newness coexist.
* Details of the event will be made public on the SEEKBASE official website.
- UNDER RAILWAY HOTEL AKIHABARA is also open under the overpass
In Akihabara, where demand for accommodation is increasing year by year, we will open an accommodation facility under the overpass. While operating a variety of hotels and operating media and apps for foreign visitors to Japan, IKIDANE Co., Ltd. operates as a business operator, targeting domestic tourists, foreign visitors to Japan and nearby workers, etc., while controlling the price range We will develop a cozy hotel.
In addition to the normal double type, a large number of large rooms are available to accommodate families. The concept is “Urban (urban) Lohas” so that you can take a rest in Akihabara, where a wide variety of stores and contents abound. It is a hotel that resets the fatigue accumulated from sightseeing and work.
Although it is located under an overpass, it also features an interior that effectively uses that space. There is also a cafe and bar that can be used by non-hotel guests. It is conveniently located near JR Akihabara Station, where you can quickly access major sightseeing spots in Tokyo, and can be used as the “front-line base” for sightseeing in Tokyo. “UNDER RAILWAY HOTEL AKIHABARA” will also be linked with other stores in “SEEKBASE” and existing facilities such as “2k540” and “Chabara”.
4 Overall Overview Name SEEKBASE AKI-OKA MANUFAKUTURE (Sheek Base Akioka Manufacture)
Location 13-1, 14-2, 15-1 Kanda Nerimacho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo JR Yamanote Line / Keihin Tohoku Line Akihabara Station / Okachimachi Station Underpass between JR Akihabara Station, about 3 minutes on foot, from JR Okachimachi Station 7 minutes on foot Development scale Site area approx. 4,000 square meters / 4 commercial facilities and 1 accommodation facility Development period Opened sequentially from December 2019 Official website http://www.jrtk.jp/seekbase/
Official Twitter @Akiba_Underrail
Development company Name: JR East Urban Development Co., Ltd. Location: 2-2-2 Yoyogi, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo (JR East Head Office Building 13F)
Established: April 20, 1989 Capital: 1,450 million yen (Shareholder: East Japan Railway Company 100%)
Representative: Hideto Deguchi
* Details of the second phase opening will be reported separately.
- About AKI-OKA area development
“AKI-OKA” is a nickname that is intended to be used by many people as an “underpass that makes you want to walk” between Akihabara and Okachimachi Station. “2k540 AKI-OKA” was opened in 2010. Starting with “ARTISAN”, we have been developing themes such as “Chabara AKI-OKA MARCHE” and “Okachimachi Ramen Yokocho AKI-OKA GOURMET”.
With the opening of this new facility, we will aim to complete an “underpass that makes you want to walk”, which can be used by as many people as possible by providing a wide variety of services in cooperation with existing facilities.